In 1837, the first Mass was celebrated in Ithaca, NY. At that time, masses were celebrated in the people’s home by visiting priests, since there were no Catholic Churches in the area.
The first Catholic Church was built in 1851 and was called St. Luke. It existed where the Parish Center now stands at 113 N. Geneva Street. This building was later moved to Green Street in Ithaca and is still standing today.
A larger Church was built in 1860, in what is now the Church parking lot, and was dedicated under the title of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Finally, a third structure was constructed in 1898. This is our current Church. The old Church became the Parish Hall until it was demolished around 1975.